Version Control: Link
Issue Tacker: Link
Minimum required GTK 2.x
|Submitted: Sep 6 2010|
Updated: Jul 25 2013
Smuxi is an irssi-inspired, flexible, user-friendly and cross-platform IRC client for sophisticated users, targeting the GNOME desktop.
Smuxi is based on the client-server model: The core application (engine) can be placed onto a server which is connected to the Internet around-the-clock; one or more frontends then connect to the core. This way, the connection to IRC can be kept up even when all frontends have been closed. The combination of screen and irssi served as example for this architecture.
Smuxi also supports the regular single application mode. This behaves like a typical IRC client; it doesn\'t need separate core management and utilizes a local engine that is used by the local frontend client.
It's finally here! We're proud to announce the new version of Smuxi, release
0.8.11 "***The Line***." During the development, 10 bug reports and
14 feature requests in 295 commits were worked on making this release a major feature and minor bugfix release.
Notable highlights in this release are:
### Enhanced User Interface ###
* UI overhaul: Massively revamped menus and toolbars as designed by Georgi
* [Quick replies]: You can now query people by clicking on their nickname.
* [Join bar follows the current network], ctrl+x switches the network.
* The /exec command is now supported, so now you can execute commands right
from Smuxi. ([/exec -c], [/exec -o])
* Size matters: The entry grows and shrinks automatically or [manually],
and the topic bar changes size too. Say goodbye to pointless scrollbars!
* Little things: New tab completion cycling (Ondřej Hošek), reconnect menu
entry in a server tab context menu, [search from the person list],
better support for Emacs key bindings in GTK+ (Carlos), better Messaging Menu
support for newer Ubuntu versions. No more hanging gnome-shell for a few
seconds when a notification is shown.
* The Windows and Mac OS X package now ship an Faenza icon theme by default.
### Mac OS X Enhancements ###
Massive OS X improvements were brought into this release.
* IRC URL handler: Clicking on irc:// links can bring up Smuxi.
* Behaviour: Smuxi has Macintosh menus (including global menu) and behaviour.
* Shortcuts: Smuxi has fully functional keyboard shortcuts on Mac.
* Font: Uses Menlo and fallbacks to Monaco font by default.
Inspired by changes described [here](https://live.gnome.org/Smuxi/Porting/Mac).
Kudos to Jonathan Pryor and Michael Lutonsky for OS X guidance and testing!
[smuxi-server launch script] is now included in the Mac package.
### Text Frontend Enhancements ###
* Color: The navigation bar displays color for highlights, messages and events
just like the GNOME frontend does.
* The Basics: Nickname completion, window closing, config management through a
new /config command, and better Xterm detection support are all in here.
* More stable :-)
### Campfire Support (Beta) ###
IRC, Twitter and XMPP weren't sufficient to Carlos Martín Nieto, so he added
Campfire, a completely new protocol to Smuxi.
The Campfire engine supports:
* Automatically opens active rooms on connect.
* List and search of available rooms using the Find Group Chat dialog.
* /join command: opens rooms
* /topic command: changes topic of a room
* /upload command: retrieves uploads
### XMPP (Beta) Enhacenments ###
There are massive XMPP enhancements. Thanks to Oliver Schneider (ker), we now
* Contact list
* /contact command
* /roster command
* Configurable priorities (away and available) with /priority command
* Highlight support (Mirco Bauer)
### IRC Enhacenments ###
* Optimized for laptops by reducing the CPU wakeup/s drastically which saves
### Updated Translations ###
Smuxi should now be in your language, including:
* French (Clément Bourgeois)
* German (Bianca Mix)
* Chinese Simp (Dean Lee)
* Danish (Joe Hansen)
* Swedish (Jimmie Elvenmark)
* Finnish (partial) (Kalle Kaitala)
### Build system ###
* Travis CI: It's easy to know what broke the build as commits will be built
as soon as they get pushed.
* Better Visual Studio support: msbuild-preprocess.ps1 (Will Johansson)
* Fixed configure failure on Slackware/Frugalware
### Behind the Scenes ###
* [Various memory leak fixes]
* Switched Windows builds to GTK# 2.12.20 and .NET 4.5
* Upgraded Twitterizer library to 2.4.1
* Upgraded Newtonsoft.Json library to 4.5.8
### Contributors ####
Contributors to this release are the following people:
* Mirco Bauer (298 commits)
* Oliver Schneider (32 commits)
* Carlos Martín Nieto (16 commits)
* Will Johansson (4 commits)
* Clément Bourgeois (3 commits, translations)
* Ondřej Hošek (2 commits)
* Calvin B (1 commit)
* George Karavasilev (artwork)
* Kalle Kaitala (translations)
* Joe Hansen (translations)
* Jimmie Elvenmark (translations)
* Dean Lee (translations)
* Bianca Mix (translations)